Thursday, August 19, 2010

Punch?

Every night before the girls go to bed, I have them get their hugs, kisses and a drink of water so they don't get back up because they're thirsty and so forth. Those of you that have/had children know what I'm talking about - "the stall tactics" as we call it. So, knowing that, here's the Kaylee speech: First, I'll let you know that the other day, I bought a bottle of Hawaiian Punch which she loves.

Kaylee: (just before bed) "Mom, I'm really, really, really thirsty."
Me: "Ok, lets grab a cup and get some water because it's bedtime."
Kaylee: "No, I don't like water."
Me: "Well, you must not be that thirsty."
Kaylee: "But I AM that thirsty so why don't you just get me some of that punch."
Me: "Is that any way to talk to mommy?"
Kaylee: "No, but can I have some punch please."
Me: "No, you can have water. We don't drink punch before bedtime."
Kaylee: "But I do and we should drink punch before we go to bed, like a new rule."
Me: "I'm sorry Kaylee, that's not a rule that we're going to start."
Kaylee: "Well, I like to start that rule but I'll just go to bed for now."

Don't worry, I didn't give in. I just pondered the conversation she and I just had and stood there!


1 comment:

Beth said...

so funny! we are familiar with the tactics as well. Ususally mine ask for a piece of candy.