Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Hail...

Mike and I took the girls to his cousins house today for a Memorial Day cookout. We had a great time and as usual, the food was awesome. Yes, we went to Deb's (you know, I think she's secretly related to Paula Dean.. yada yada yada). Anyway, on our way home, I was driving because it's been a "rule" that Mike drives the "to there" part and I drive the "from there" part. Well, first, I'll just say that there have only been a few occasions to where I've been in fear of my life. My drive home tonight was one of those. I happened to look up at the sky which was a weird shade of orange-ish grey. Now it was getting close to 9pm so it was getting dark out as well. All of a sudden, I drove into a thunderstorm like no other I'd ever driven through. And then... the hail began to fall! Yes, that's right - Hail! I pulled over and I do mean WAY over because I could not see the road at all and therefore was afraid other drivers might not see me. The kids were in the backseat and I could tell they were frightened as well. Mike also seemed to have a bit of fear in him. It was like someone was dumping marbles on us. We waited on the side of the road along with a few other vehicles for about 15 minutes, until I could see the road again. When that finally happened, I drove home with my white knuckle grip until I hit the driveway! Finally, we were home and safe - Thank God! I'll tell you, I so need to get used to these storms but really, hail in Florida is a bad thing and one I'll never get used to!
Oh, yes, the only other time I was this scared was when we brought Kaylee home from the hospital after she was born and bunked out in our closet as the tornado passed over our neighborhood! Luckily, we were being watched over that night as well.

2 comments:

Mum Gone Mad said...

That sounds petrifiying! We get hail but it sounds like baby hail compared to that! Glad you got home safe and sound luv Karen x

Beth said...

oh my, did it do any damage to your car?