Tuesday, November 3, 2009

charcoal chicken...

Monday night I marinated some chicken in some jerk seasoning I had bought while in the Caribbean. I had made it in the past several times and couldn't wait to eat it again - after all, it had marinated for 24 hours - yummy goodness! So, I had Mike crank up the grill - yes my northern friends, we still have some grillin' weather! Anyway, he turned it to low which he always does. I waited a few minutes for the grill to heat up and then went out to put the chicken on the top rack. I use the top rack because chicken has a tendency to flare up once in a while and this keeps it from coming in direct contact with any flame (or so I thought). I went out a few times to check on it and all was good. I then returned again to turn it over and lifted the lid on the grill only to find an ash grey grill rack with chicken shaped charcoal on it! I couldn't believe it - my chicken was gone - almost dust in fact! I looked at the thermometer: 600 degrees - no, that's not normal for the low setting! What I think happened was in between checking it, there must have been a flare up which toasted the racks and the chicken as well as causing the grill to reach that super high temp. And, wouldn't you know, I had invited company over for dinner - of course! So, to those of you who came over for dinner - hope you enjoyed the store bought fried chicken! Now I'll have to book another cruise to get more of that super delicious jerk seasoning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When do you want to go?

Nonna said...

Any excuse to cruise will do!!!!