Saturday, January 24, 2009

Florida Manatees...

Today we took the girls to see the manatees at the Tampa Electric Company's water discharge canal. It was awesome. I've never seen so many of them. We went last year and didn't see nearly as many as this year. They are more abundant when the weather gets colder as they like the warm water that the power plant discharges into the canal. The girls really enjoyed seeing them up close. I've attached some pics below. You can read more about these fascinating manatees at http://www.tampaelectric.com/manatee/themanatee/



All the dark shadows you see in the water are manatees.
This was only a portion of them, there were plenty more that I didn't pick up with the lens I had on my camera.
Here is a mommy manatee.
Here is a baby manatee peeking out of the water, swimming next to his/her mom.


2 comments:

Missy said...

Uuummm, so my BFF went to see the manatees that live right down the way from me???? Huuummmm??? O.k., I see how you are. Just messing with you. Looks like you guys had a good time. They are pretty cool.

Beth said...

Wow, these are better than the ones we saw last year at the Manatee musesum and paid like $15/person to see....I should have you just email me some pics....