Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Easy to peel boiled eggs...

This is going to sound silly but I have a simple way to make "easy to peel" boiled eggs. I used to hate to make boiled eggs because they were a pain to peel but here is something I found a while back and I have done my eggs this way ever since...

Take eggs out of the refrigerator about an hour or so before boiling. You don't want them to be real cold. Room temp is best.

Bring a pot of water to a hard boil. Remember to leave room for the eggs!

Here's the tricky part....

Carefully, put an egg on a spoon. One with a big enough handle so you won't get burned! SLOWLY and GENTLY, lower the egg into the boiling water without just dropping it in. I lower all mine right to the bottom so they don't "bounce" off the bottom of the pot. Do this for the remaining eggs. Every now and then, one will crack but it's ok, you can still use it. I know, it's time consuming but well worth it.

Boil the eggs for 15 minutes (for hard boiled eggs).

When the time is up, drain the boiling water and quickly douse the eggs while still in the pot with ice cold water to cool them quickly. I sometimes will add ice to the pot as well. You can keep changing the water to keep it cold. When the eggs are cool, drain the ice water, put a lid on the pot with the eggs still in it and shake it up. The peels should come right off.

Try it, I've done it this way for a long time and have never had to fight to get an egg shell off a boiled egg since!

4 comments:

Nonna said...

I thought this was crazy when she first told me but it WORKS! See mom's can learn from their daughters.

Mum Gone Mad said...

Oh wow, I am going to have to try this! I hate it when half the egg comes away with the shell :(

Anonymous said...

So I will try this way for my develed eggs on Sunday and I will let you know how it worked for me. I hate peeling eggs.

Kimberley said...

Interesting. I actually I love peeling hard-boiled egggs. I know, I'm weird. :)